Tuesday, April 17

Reincarnation

    The floor has become my bed. It calls to me. When my mind can't handle the stress and my legs can't stand the weight, it calls. And at first I whisper, "No, keep standing," but I can only keep my eyes open for so long,my head is spinning, my palms are sweating, please catch me when I fall. I am so unbelievably scared.
   But it wasn't until I was lying on the ground praying, "God, if this is life, take me now," that I started to remember. Somehow between the moment I fell and that moment I woke up in the fetal position on the floor of my math class, I lived a thousand lives.
   I lived the lives of every character in every book that I've read. I died with Gatsby and searched the streets of New York for a lock with a key. I floated down the Mississippi. I lived the lives of the tabloid princesses and the prom queens. I lived the life of the artist and the life of the artist's mistress. I've been a mermaid who desperately wanted legs and the girl resurrected by a kiss. I've lived the life of the king who marries the witch, then proceeds to die. I've lived too many lives of drug addicts and not enough of gamblers. I've watched from the sidelines, and I've jumped in the ring.  I've lived a life on the islands of Neverland. I've had my feet bound to appear more attractive. Ive lived the life of the girl who works for the peep show, and cries at night. I've been a marathon runner. I've been to a hundred different worlds, a thousand different times. I've lived these lives with my eyes closed.
   I've seen how it ends, and how it begins.


The secret's in the ink. 
-M


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you can't say nothin nice, don't say nothing at all.