Monday, September 26

My pillow is warmer on the other side,
And the the grass in the west is dying

But when a blind date
Means closing my eyes
And I realized that true poetry
Is never about the title,

I flipped over the lawn
To see if it was cool
And poured food coloring
All over the down.

I kept the lights on through the night
And eliminated the shadow
Of Peter.
So that I would never
Be reminded of how
The second star to the right
Failed to lead me to Neverland.

Instead I ended up
In a swarm of flies
With nothing but a dishtowel.

The song was never about
Butterflies dying.
It was only there
To mock my every breath,
Tempt me with it's pretenses
And to pretend to smile.

And on December 20
All my little notes that said
"You're Beautiful"
Are flaking off the mirror.

And they fall through
The floor.
Into the molten below.

I, being so desperate
Jumped in after them
But landed on an
Out of tune piano.

And all I heard for
The rest of eternity
Was the oriental music
Of the always black keys.


3 comments:

if you can't say nothin nice, don't say nothing at all.